Monday 19 March 2018

Conclusion

As we come to the end of my blog, I would like to briefly summarise what I have analysed and argued here in relation to how food is used in different forms of fantasy fiction. It is to be noted that different fantasy genres can impact on the reading of food within the genre. I have argued how The Hobbit uses the unknown of high fantasy fiction to create an ambience of fear within a child reader and this is done with the process of someone becoming food, as the concept is completely foreign to them. I continued to look at how The Lion, The With and The Wardrobe uses its juvenile fantasy to teach its readers between right and wrong and depict moral lessons and the deception from characters such as the White Witch in the instance, as she uses treats to trick children into liking her displays this statement. Next, the Harry Potter series is the perfect low fantasy realm which incorporates the real and the unreal and this could be used to be relatable and for enticement purposes but also to appeal to a child's imagination, therefore, the mixture of common everyday food with magical sweets demonstrates this contrast. Finally, The Hunger Games depicts a common dystopia where there is obvious corruption, proving why the imbalance of food distribution and the control this one Capitol has over the food is symbolic for the hierarchy of the society they are apart of.

Overall, I hope I have analysed and discussed this area enough so you can see my point of view on the topic- I hope next time you pick up a fantasy book, you will think about the greater meaning of food within the text also as I believe food in fantasy fiction adds so much more to the narrative then we would initially believe.

Thanks for reading,


Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment